Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Richter, Frantisek Xaver; Concerto in E minor for Flue and Orch.

Lately, the nature of the work I'm doing encourages listening to music(s) that don't necessariy require full-time attention. This is interesting, I suppose, since it's not the "music" that requires or does'nt require our attention. Surely, I have nurtured a habit of only half-listening to certain kinds of music, and in my case this habit is the result of lots of driving and listening to NPR. Some music(s) that inspire this kind of listening is some good, driving Goa techno. Also, some minimalist-leaning music, and some Baroque. I often avail myself of my working time to listen to early 18th-century composers that I have'nt made or had the time to listen to.
I'm happy to have listened to Frantisek Richter's (1709-1789) E minor Flute concerto, since this three movement work offers a rich description of ornament on not just a local level (for the solo flute) but on larger, phrase-levels as well. Especially attractive is the 3rd mov't, Allegro, non troppo presto. As I listen, I think of dance forms, and am pained that I can't/don't remember much that I had read a year or so ago about Rhythmic Gesture as Wye Allanbrook discusses it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home